Sunday, January 7, 2007

Baldessari_Quotations

"EVERYBODY KNOWS A DIFFERENT WORLD, AND ONLY PART OF IT. WE COMMUNICATE ONLY BY CHANCE, AS NOBODY KNOWS THE WHOLE, ONLY WHERE OVERLAPPING TAKES PLACE."

John Baldessari



IMAGE: The Intersection Series:
Statue/Bound Person, 2002, John Baldessari




"BETWEENNESS."
"I'M CONCERNED WITH WHAT HAPPENS BETWEEN THINGS AND IDEAS."
John Baldessari


John Baldessari "embraces chance, randomness and choice for their ability to unseat single mindedness." (Tracy Bashkoff)



"What you see is what you don't get."
John Baldessari



Image: Six Barriers: With People (from Red/Yellow/Blue/Orange to Red/Yellow/Blue/Violet) 2004



Baldessari was influence by the Navajo Indians who "deliberately included mistakes into the weaving of there tapestries".

Image: Fallen Easel 1988


Image: The Kiss (from Hegel's Cellar)
198631 1/2 x 22 1/2 inches Etching with photograuve, Edition of 35


"When I get wrapped up in all my problems speculating about what the world is all about, I never think about the earth spinning around but I wish I could have that alertness, then I might maybe understand something..." John Baldessari



“THE WAY IS THE GOAL.”

“THE CHASE IS MORE INTERESTING. I ALWAYS SEEM TO PREFER TO KEEP THINGS OPEN, AND I HATE TO BRING THINGS TO COMPLETION. WHEN DOING ONE WORK I AM ALWAYS THINKING OF THE NEXT, I GUESS I HATE ANSWERS.”
John Baldessari



The image “http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/features/schjeldahl/Images/schjeldahl2-4-7.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Wrong
John Baldessari 1967-68


“Well, the only thing I am kind of sure about is that when two things are brought to some sort of magnetic proximity, that meaning occures. Two words, two images, two objects, what ever it is. Whether there’s universality or agrement on the meaning, I rather doubt it. Thats probably pretty cultural. But it facinates me that people wnat things to mean.”
John Baldessari


“I think what I like to do is make comparisons. It is a fundamental concept that we choose one thing over anouther thing, but if you dont have several things, how do you know.”
John Baldessari

No comments: