1. the bottom support of anything; that on which a thing stands or rests:
2. a fundamental principle or groundwork;
3. the bottom layer or coating,
4. the distinctively treated lowermost portion of any construction
5. that from which a commencement, as of action or reckoning, is made;> a starting point or point of departure.
6. Geometry. the line or surface forming the part of a figure that is> most nearly horizontal or on which it is supposed to stand.
7. to station, place, or situate
8. morally low; without estimable personal qualities; dishonorable;> mean spirited; selfish; cowardly.
a. of humble origin or station.
b. of small height.
c. low in place, position, or degree: base servitude.